Monday, July 5, 2021

Step up your game fashion industry


There are two reasons I have dropped out of a Zero Waste online community.  One being one user I won’t name, the other being the other user I won’t name.  Both hate the fact that I carry  stuff to work and sometimes don’t have a reusable bag if I need to buy groceries after work.  One accused me of only wanting to  help the  environment for internet  points because I told her I was leaving due to her (if you can’t tell it’s your own attitude when you're told so, you have a major problem) and the other accused me of being responsible for sweatshops in China because my jeans had no pockets.

First of all, I get my jeans second-hand, thank you.  Second of all, India, Thailand, and Mexico.  Third, what rock are you living under where you don’t know most women’s jeans are still pocketless?

You’d think women’s pants are usually pocketless because pockets would mess up the look of the hipline.  That’s not true.  Search a clothing site for skirts or pants with pockets for women and you’ll find a lot of options.  Heck, some fancy dresses have pockets.  I made a historic dress with pockets as a kid.

But why so many pants with no pockets?

Well, there’s some history the fashion industry pretends not to still be involved with.

As a lot of fashion trends, it starts in France.  Back in the days before the revolution, only peasants wore long pants with pockets.  If the poor were robbed, it was because someone put their hands on their pants; if the rich got robbed, someone put their hands on their servant.

When the Revolution came, the longer pants with pockets became a symbol of independence.  Guess who wasn’t supposed to have independence still?

That’s right.  It would be over a century for women to get to wear pants in general, let alone have pockets.  When women sewed pants into pockets for themselves, they were labeled as ‘sex fiends’.  Keep in mind; this is back when women actually having libidos could get them sent to insane asylums.

Despite women's empowerment, fashion still insists women be stuck without pockets and thus force them to take a bag, often a purse.  While cute, it often screams ‘I have valuables in me!  Take me!’

Thankfully, pockets don’t have any cruel connotation, save for those like above who just want to start fights.  Besides, what’s wrong with being a sex fiend, as long as you’re a respectful one?  Do we really need a violent revolution and chopping off heads just to be able to carry our keys and reusable bags in a safer and more comfortable way?

My Redbubble store

My TeePublic store

My novel: (paperback) (Kindle)

My comic: (Morbius fan comic)

My Patreon (has a proboards forum that anyone can join)

No comments:

Post a Comment